The agents of empire do not always arrive with warning. When you are besieged, surrounded, and infiltrated, imagination is often your best weapon against the oppressors. If all you have at hand is some duct tape and a disposable camera, fear not, you have the makings of a powerful taser!
A disposable camera contains a "super cap" aka high value capacitor, which stores up lots of charge to make that bright flash. When you press the flash button, you can hear this capacitor charging up in an increasing high-pitched tone. We're going to take out that flash and replace it with two metal leads. Instead of traveling through the flash bulb, all that stored electricity will travel through whatever we press the leads onto.
- Disposable Camera
- Duct Tape
The best part about disposable cameras is that they're free if you go to your local convenience store and ask for the used ones. I even got a disposable video camera!
Step 1 Open the Camera
Remove the paper covering from the camera. If you plan on disguising your taser as a disposable camera, then do this step carefully and replace the paper shell at the end. It's a double-edged sword. Though stealthy for insurgency, it can also easily kill anyone who's ignorant of it, such as children. Be careful.
With the cover gone, you'll see the AA battery. Remove the battery.
The camera is held together with a series of plastic clasps. Once you unclasp them all, the two sides of the camera will come apart.
This is the inside of the camera:
- Do not touch anything yet! The super capacitor may be charged. If you accidentally discharge it with your fingers, you will get a very painful and potentially deadly shock!
Step 2 Discharge the Super Cap
Before touching anything, we must safely release any energy stored up in the super capacitor. Use a flat head screwdriver with a plastic or rubber handle. Bring the tip of the screwdriver into contact with the two leads coming out of the side of the capacitor. If you hear a loud pop and see a spark, you have safely discharged the cap. If you hear or see nothing, try again several times. If you still get nothing, your capacitor has probably already been discharged.
Step 3 Hack the Circuit Board
The board is not screwed into the plastic case and should come out with minimal force.
Leave all the metal bits as they are. Locate the flash box at the top of the board. With a pair of wire cutters, cut the leads that connect the flash box to the board. Discard the flash box.
Double check with your screwdriver that the capacitor has been fully discharged. Cut two 7-inch lengths of wire and strip the ends.
Wrap the exposed ends of the wires around the capacitor leads.
It is important to wrap them tightly enough so that they cannot touch each other.
Step 4 Close the Case
Run the other ends of the wires through the empty flash opening on the front of the case. Put the circuit board back into the back case and close the entire case around the board.
It feels good from a design standpoint to create another function for the opening we just made obsolete.
Step 5 Make Shockers
Take the exposed ends of the two wires and tape them at the opposite end of the camera away from the flash charge button.
These exposed contacts are what will shock our enemies.
- Do not, under any circumstances, touch these contacts. EVER.
Step 6 Test
It is time to test the functionality of your taser on an inanimate metal object. Hold the taser so that the contacts are facing away from your body. Press the flash button to charge up the super capacitor. After a few seconds, touch the contacts to the metal your are testing on.
Step 7 Make a Case
I made a case for mine from bright green duct tape. The bright color ensures you will always be aware of the taser. I felt compelled to add a safety flap to cover the contacts when the taser is not in use. I also added a battery pocket to ensure the taser cannot be charged accidentally in my pocket.
I am very happy with the final look.
- This project is deadly! Real tasers use alternating current that turns on and off very rapidly. This taser uses direct current that is constant. If you touch each contact so that the electricity flows across your chest (as it will if you hold a contact in each hand) The voltage traveling across your heart could rip your heart tissue and permanently destroy your heart!
- This tutorial is for demonstration purposes only. Do not try this at home. I am not responsible for any injury or death that comes as a result of making this taser for yourself.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades