Drinking games just got a little more sophisticated (kind of). Startup SmartThings built this awesome Arduino-based machine that automatically pours a shot whenever the US wins a medal in the 2012 Summer Olympics. Goldschläger for gold, Cuervo for silver, and Jack Daniels for bronze.
The Arduino is connected to a SparkFun XBee shield and a ZigBee network connects it to the SmartThings platform, which connects to the internet.
When the US wins a medal, the Arduino switches on a strobe light and turns on a fan that makes the US flag blow in the wind. And pours the shot, of course. Of course, you can also just pour a drink manually by clicking on the appropriate medal on the SmartThings Medal app.
Check out the video to see the full explanation.
Who says sports and alcohol don't mix?
If you've been watching the Olympics, how do you celebrate? Let us know in the comments!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades